I am a tenure track assistant professor at the Department of Computer Science at RWTH Aachen University. My research deals with security and privacy challenges of industrial networks and industrial data sharing. I continue to be affilliated with the Cyber Analysis & Defense (CA&D) department at the Fraunhofer Institute for Communication, Information Processing and Ergonomics FKIE. Before, I headed the Security and Privacy research group at the chair of Communication and Distributed Systems (COMSYS) at RWTH Aachen University. I was a research intern at the Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust (SnT) at the University of Luxembourg. I studied computer science at RWTH Aachen University, where I obtained a Diploma degree (equiv. M.Sc.) and a PhD (Dr. rer. nat.). My advisor was Klaus Wehrle. My academic achievements were awarded with the Nachwuchsförderpreis Verbraucherforschung NRW, the Borchers-Plakette and the ICT Young Researcher Award.
My research focuses on security and privacy challenges in large-scale communication systems. Currently, I am focusing on securing industrial networks, especially in the energy and production sectors. Previously, I worked within the TRINICS project to create transparency on the usage of cloud services and within the SSICLOPS project on the privacy-aware handling of data in the cloud. I also worked on security and privacy challenges of outsourcing sensor and IoT data to the cloud in the context of the SensorCloud and IPACS projects.
- 2021-10: Starting new position as tenure track assistant professor at RWTH Aachen University.
- 2021-01: Joining the TPC of ACM WiSec 2021.
- 2020-10: Our research on insecure OPC UA deployments got featured by heise online and All-Electronics (in German).
- 2020-09: Our state-of-the-art paper on securing the Industrial Internet of Things got accepted for IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics.
- 2020-08: Paper on an Internet-wide study on insecure OPC UA deployments accepted at IMC.
- 2020-07: Kicking off our interdisciplinary efforts within the newly founded Fraunhofer Center for Digital Energy with two papers accepted for EnergyCon and SEST.
- 2020-06: A future issue of IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing will feature our work on realizing data handling requirements-aware cloud storage systems.
- 2020-03: Releasing our Metasploit modules for OPC UA.
- 2020-02: Serving on the TPC of MobiQuitous 2020.
- 2019-11: Honored to receive the Nachwuchsförderpreis Verbraucherforschung NRW for my PhD thesis.
- 2019-09: Invited by the German Pulp and Paper Association to speak about IoT Cybersecurity for Industrial Networks.
- 2019-09: Received the Borchers-Plakette from RWTH Aachen University in recognition of my outstanding PhD thesis.
- 2019-07: Our paper on realizing anonymous communication for resource-constrained IoT devices got accepted at ICNP.
- 2019-04: Joining Fraunhofer FKIE as postdoctoral research fellow to work on securing industrial networks.
- 2019-02: Invited talk on Security in Resource-constrained Industrial IoT Networks at the Industrial IT Security Symposium at FH Aachen.
- 2018-11: Successfully defended my PhD thesis Accounting for Privacy in the Cloud Computing Landscape at RWTH Aachen University.
- 2018-09: Invited talk on Weaknesses of Blockchain Technology and panel discussion (with Silvio Micali, Donald Kossmann & C. Mohan) at the Heidelberg Laureate Forum.
- My Erdős number is (at most) four. Please let me know if you know about any shorter path. Some notable paths of length four include:
- Four papers I co-authored are listed in Free Haven’s Selected Papers in Anonymity